Saturday, October 17, 2015

Lockport Wrestling Alumni

Once upon a time, long, long ago, I was a high school wrestler. Granted, I was not a very good one, but for three years I did it. From sophomore year through senior year, I compiled a 31-31 record. Almost all of that was JV. Okay, I'll be honest. I was 0-2 on varsity. I told you I wasn't a very good one.

Despite my struggles with the sport, I truly enjoyed my time as a member of the Lockport Wrestling team. I made many new friends and learned the value of trying to stay healthy. Now, 20-plus years later, I have found myself again involved with the wrestling team. This time, I am supporting the team as an alumnus.

Head coach Joe Scapelliti has put together a way for all of us who wrestled for Lockport in the past to continue to support the team. Last year I sponsored a weight class, my weight class from back in 1990-1992. What did my $50 donation do?

Together with all the others who sponsored the team, we were able to assist in providing healthy and nutritious snacks in the locker room on a daily basis, established a scholarship award for a graduating senior in  the name of all wrestling alumni, and financially supported the team for wrestling in off-season tournaments as well as traveling across New York State for various competitions.

By the end of the season last year, I also got a thank you note from one of the wrestlers that I had helped with my donation. Coach Scap has developed the wrestling program into an all-around program that helps these kids mature into responsible adults.

The thank you note from the Lockport Wrestling Team.
Just this week, I got the letter to support the 2015-2016 wrestling season. Joe and his team earned a #1 ranking among large schools in Western New York for last season. They were NFL champions for the third consecutive year. They also claimed two Section VI individual weight class championships. For the first time in school history, they had TWO wrestlers place at the NYSPHSAA championships. Joe has done a fantastic job with this team. I hope he continues to drive these wrestlers to excellence.

This year, I am once again donating to the Lockport Wrestling team. It makes me feel good to be able to help the team be successful. If any of you are former wrestlers at Lockport, I urge you to take an active roll in the Lockport Wrestling Alumni.

The alumni who assisted in 2014-2015

No comments:

Post a Comment